Wednesday, May 28, 2014

CHAPTER 01

Chapter 01


*Christy Qian*
I know exactly what I’m doing, trust me. Today’s the day.
I step out onto the sunlit roof and survey the ant-like flecks of people below me. My face is completely impassive, but on the inside, my mind is on fire. A million thoughts and images whizz through my brain, emotions of excitement and anticipation mingling with visions of my victims on their knees at my feet, begging for mercy, bloodied cheeks and pleading voices.
At the same time, a doubtful voice at the back of my skull murmur words of warning. These are all humans. Young humans. How could you do this to your own kind?
I clamp down on the voice, oppressing it and crushing it down. They are not my kind. I am superior. Besides, it is what they deserve.
I have never forgotten the pain and depression that haunted me through my years spent in the Cosmo Prison. It was living hell, and these humans will pay for the injustice. Revenge is a sweet thing, starting out at the core of my soul and growing slowly but steadily, a never-ending, never-satisfied flame, stoked by the coals of my anger. I’ll show them. They’ll be sorry they ever messed with me.
With that thought, my arms morph into wings and I jump from my vantage point.
It’s playtime.

The boy is my first victim. He wanders alone at the edge of the school grounds, heading towards the playing fields. The perfect place for an attack.
I tuck in my wings, enjoying the exhilaration of roller coaster speed travel. It takes me only seconds to descend below the clouds; my ears crackle and pop, but I ignore the discomfort. Soon, I will have everything -- eardrums are the least of my concerns.
After plummeting down to a few dozen feet above the school, I extend my wings and fly in circles over my prey. He's still unsuspecting of my presence, but the bliss of ignorance will not last long.
He doesn't see my shadow until it's too late. My nails protract to claws as I smash my feet into the boy's back. He goes sprawling into the wet grass with a loud exclamation of pain.
"Oh, I'm sorry," I sneer in a sarcastic apology. "I'm afraid I didn't see you there."
"Who the heck are you?" my victim gasps, trying to get to his feet. It's no use, of course; I knock him down again with ease.
I shake my head. "Tsk, tsk. How rude. Is this how you greet your superiors?"
Anger flashes in his eyes. "You're not superior to me!"
"Oh, really, now?" I slash at him with my claws, grinning at his reaction to the deep gashes now scored in his arm. "I am the strongest superhuman; I've survived hundreds of years locked up in the Cosmo Prison, and you think you're my equal? God forbid!"
"Get away from me," he growls, lashing out with his sneakered feet.
"Don't you worry, human, I'll be back," I cackle as I let my wings carry me up again. "I'm sure my friends would love to meet you!"
I leave the boy coughing and clutching his wound, a look of pure terror on his face.


Rising up against the wind, I close my eyes and relax. It’s a sunny day with wisps of clouds dotting the periwinkle-blue sky here and there. Focus. I take my mental image of that beautiful sky and change it, darkening the shades into an inky black color. Ominous thunderclouds form an impenetrable sheet over the sun, blotting it out completely. That’s better. 
I open my eyes to find that my surroundings had taken on the mirage I’d created in my mind’s eye. I am not surprised, as I’d expected no less, but the people below me are. Well, they’re more than surprised. Some seem stupefied. Others have begun to scream.
Silly, inferior life forms. They will never survive that way.
I close my eyes again. Inhale, exhale. Icy, thick water begins pouring out of the sky, flooding the ground. The screams of despair rising from below fill my ears. 
Weaklings. I haven’t even started yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment