Wednesday, May 28, 2014

CHAPTER 05

Chapter 05


*Ruiran Xun*
I watch Sara and Chris run off together as the sky darkens and rain begins to pour.
Such idiots. Where would they go? With a tear in the Cosmic Prison, they would not be safe anywhere. She’ll find them and make their deaths slow and painful.
How do I know?
I am her spy. I am only human now, but she has promised me great things. Soon, if I do my job well, I will be superior to the human race.
I silently observe the two adolescents make their way, unknowingly, towards me. I can see that one of them, Chris, is injured. Bloody streaks run up and down his arm and as he draws near, I notice the sheen of sweat over his skin and his labored breathing. Sara is in a better physical state, but even her energy is diminishing quickly.
They're heading straight towards me, more of stumbling than actually running. I get ready to make my move, tensing my muscles and sharpening my senses. Five, four, three, two...
I spring at them, knocking Sara over in one swift punch. Chris puts up more of a fight, but in only seconds I have him on the ground as well. In my peripheral vision I notice Sara trying to crawl away.
"Oh, you're not going anywhere," I purr as I wrestle Chris into a headlock. A simple jerk to the side would snap his neck, ending his life.
Sara freezes, then narrows her eyes. "What the heck do you want?" she demands.
I simply smile and snap my fingers. "You're coming with me, princess, to meet some new people." I turn on my heel and march away, dragging Chris behind me. I don't look back to see if she's following. I know she will.
We trek through the rain for quite a while. I can tell that both Sara and Chris are on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion, but I don't care. My mistress had ordered me to bring twelve back. Conscious or not, it didn't matter.
As I walk, I observe my surroundings. The streets are pretty much deserted except for some unconscious people lying here and there. The sky is a sea of murky darkness, the clouds hanging over the world like an impending doom. Rain pours over us in an icy torrent, unrelenting and unforgiving. The earth beneath my feet is so soft that my feet sink several inches into the ground with each second that I keep my foot on the ground.
It's been at least an hour when I finally stop. Sara collapses immediately into a heap. Chris' eyes are glazed; I'm not sure if he even knows that we've stopped moving. His face is completely slack, his dark curls of hair flopping limply over his features.
I let them get an hour of rest, then shake them in an attempt to wake them. Sara rolls over, groaning, but Chris is still out for the count. I don't have time for this. I kick him until he wakes up, coughing and clutching his side. He gives me a look that almost melts my skin off.
I shake off his burning stare. "All right, sweethearts, follow me," I command as I make my way to the wall of a building near us. I put my hand on one of the bricks and push myself up with ease.
"We're going to climb." I glance down at the two exhausted teens, smirking. "Have fun!" I call down to them. "And don't die!"
They struggle after me, moaning and groaning, generally making fools of themselves. Think this is hard? You haven't even seen the real deal yet.
It seems like ages before we finally get to the top, but when we finally do, I guide them to a veiled doorway.
"Go in quickly," I advise, "it will hurt less."
I stifle giggles at the horrified looks on their faces. I can see why they would be intimidated by the door. It is at least fifteen feet tall and darker than the sky. A curtain-like shadow hangs in front of it, shimmering and whispering nightmarish messages at all who approached it. I can't help but wonder what Chris and Sara are hearing from it.
Whom, speaking of which, are just stand at the doorway, staring at me cluelessly.
I sigh, exasperated. "Oh, for God's sake! Go on in, you'll be fine!"
When they still don't move, I grab each of them by the wrist and throw them through the veil, into the vastness within. Then, following them, I step in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment