Wednesday, May 28, 2014

CHAPTER 04

Chapter 04


*Leo Qi*
I love teasing Debbie. She looks so cute when she’s mad, with her blazing eyes and piercing glare. Actually, she’s cute all the time. Scratch that, she’s beautiful. Too bad she probably wants to kill me now. I never meant to actually dump her violin in the trash can, just for the record. Her violin is like her life source, and no one wants a Gollum Debbie on his tail.
Presently, I dart down the hallways of Rachel Carson Middle School, dodging the hawk-eyes all the teachers send my way as I rush past. My blood is still buzzing with adrenaline after talking with Debbie. Once outside, I drop my phone as an excuse to dawdle in front of the buses, waiting for her.
I’ve probably only waited for a few seconds when Debbie bursts out of the front doors, looking shaken up. Her dark brown eyes are wild and panicked, her bags all in a jumble. I saunter over with my hands in my pockets.
“Need help?” I ask, hoping to gain forgiveness for my rash actions.
Debbie scowls, then relents and nods. “Yeah, thanks.”
Suddenly, her expression changes and her voice becomes somber. “I need to tell you something, Leo. Can you ride home with me?”
“Sure, no problem. I’ll text my parents,” I say quickly. “What’s wrong? Are you okay?”
She takes a deep breath, then launches into rapid-fire Debbie talk mode. “I found an old key in the trash can and when I picked it up, I felt it vibrating. After that, I plucked my violin strings and it sounded weird. I ignored it and went into the hallways, but halfway down I felt really weird and woozy. I thought it was the key because it was getting hot and cold at the same time in my pocket, and it turns out I was right. I threw it on the ground and felt better later, but when I looked back at the clock, no time had passed at all since the moment I’d picked up the key.” She looks up at me, her face tight with fear. “What’s going on, Leo?”
“I don’t know any more than you do. Sorry,” I say, troubled. “Maybe we can find out on the Internet. Let’s search it up at your house, okay?”
But Debbie’s not listening to me. She’s staring up at the sky, her eyes big as saucers. Her mouth is half open in a stunned O shape. “Holy… the sky…” she whispers, her voice filled with wonder -- and dread.
I follow her gaze upwards and see exactly what she means.
The sky is black. Dark thunderheads boil across our terrestrial roof in thick swaths. Even as we stare, the heavens open fire upon us in all its glory, sheets and sheets of icy cold rain pummeling us like hammers. In only moments, I can barely see three feet in any direction and am shivering from the cold.
“Debbie!” I shout, but the wind rips the words out of my mouth before they are audible. I stagger forward like a drunkard, my arms extended. Find Debbie. Find Debbie. Find Debbie. She is the only coherent thought I can formulate in my mind.
“Leo, I’m here!” A pair of hands grip my arm. I sigh with relief.
“Come on, we need to get out of here,” I say urgently.
“The school,” she suggests.
I nod in agreement and we race towards our school. All around us, the other middle schoolers are pushing and shoving blindly. I clutch Debbie’s hand tightly and we forge our way to the front entrance. I can’t even see her face, it’s raining so hard.
Finally, we barge through the doors and drag ourselves into the lobby, soaking wet. I just stand there for a moment, trying to process what just happened.

I don’t realize that it’s not Debbie standing next to me until it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment